Monday, April 14, 2008

Mission: Organize Scrapbook Room - Scrapbook Paper

Before I started scrapbooking I never drooled over paper. Paper was just something to scribble a note on, or print a report on - blech! Now if you get me in a scrapbook store, you might never get me out. My husband can attest to that!

Am I alone, or do you also wander the scrapbook paper isles as if you had just wandered into Ali Baba's cave filled with gold? Do you find yourself caressing first this paper, then that one. Do you hear oooh's and aaah's from the next isle over? I swear sometimes I think it's better than... oh well, maybe not... but close.

Before you know it my arms are loaded with treasure and I feel like it's Christmas. Then I get home and have to find storage for yet more scrapbook paper! Well, I am a lucky gal to have a handy hubby who built me really nice scrapbook furniture.


scrapbook paper storage furniture

My paper organizer



I know that is not possible for a lot of scrapbookers, but there are lots of different scrapbook paper organizers on the market. You can spend as little or as much as you want. But do keep a couple of things in mind: sturdiness, practicality and portability.

Whatever you spend, you are going to want to make sure your scrapbook paper organizer is going to last and that it will protect the paper you've already spent money on (tons if you're like me;) It doesn't make much sense to spend $12 to protect $300 worth of paper.

You also want your choice to be practical. If you have to work to get at your scrapbook paper everytime you need it, you are going to get very frustrated. I like my paper in easy reach, where I can see it and grab what I want.

Finally you may want to consider portability. If you never go to workshops or "crops" this may not be important to you. I like to scrapbook at home most of the time. But occasionally I go to a crop. So I have a portable case that I slip some of my paper in.


I did a little checking and found some really great scrapbook organizers in several price ranges. Starting at the lower range, and keeping in mind my criteria I found a sturdy looking magazine style folder by memory dock.






Although I don't personally like upright magazine style storage for my scrapbook paper (I find the paper edges tend to get bent and it is hard to not damage the paper getting it in and out), this one is very sturdy looking.

My favorite style is the shelves that hold my paper lying flat. There are several options in this style. If you have more shelf space than floor space then you might like
Display Dynamics Perfect Paper Stackable Paper Trays (try saying that 3 times fast!). I find these a bit pricey at around $60 for 10 trays, but they are durable, easily accessible and very flexible. They are also lightweight which should keep shipping costs down.

stackable scrapbook paper trays



An alternative is the Paper Cube wire unit. It holds way more paper with 23 shelves. It is also light weight and very durable. The Paper Cube also comes with casters if you want to be able to roll it around. It is priced nicely at about $45.


paper storage cube
Paper Cube



I have one of these without the paper shelves that I keep larger scrapbook supplies on. I love mine because it is versatile - it comes apart to make individual cubes, and it is easy to move. The individual paper shelves would make it even sturdier. This would hold a lot of paper. Even if you don't have much paper yet, trust me you will!

If you are really ready for an upgrade and want to outfit your whole scrapbook room with furniture made just for scrapbooking, take a look at
Organizeit-online.com. They carry several lines of furniture including Freedom Rail (deluxe), as well as Modular Scrapbook Storage Units.



freedom rail scrapbook system

Freedom Rail


You can get the Modular Scrapbook Storage Unit which has a lot of storage, including awesome paper storage, or you can buy individual modules to customize your scrapbook room just the way you want.



modular scrapbook storage unit

Modular Scrapbook Storage Unit



Lastly, if you need a portable solution here are a couple of options:



portable scrapbook paper organizer



The 26 Pocket Paper Organizer from Retrospect by Smead



This one is my favorite because it is so pretty and durable! Form, function and fashion all in one!





I am still working on my scrapbook room, slowly, but surely. As I was organizing my paper it got me thinking about options, thus this post was born. I love shopping, but online it can get old wading through page after page, back and forth trying to find what you want. If I've saved one of you some time and exasperation, then I will be happy. Until next time...


Happy Scrappin!